Saturday, October 6, 2012

Guest Post from cats-n-nails: Shoe-spiration Series: Rock Chick Tutorial

I was very flattered when Abby asked me to do a guest post! Her blog is amazing and she does very creative designs (check out her fish scale post).

Today I have a special edition of my Shoe-spiration series of designs. The shoe I picked is probably a bit too much in real life, but perhaps my mani rendition will be a bit more appropriate to everyday wear:

Shoespiration

This turned out to be such a simple and straightforward design – absolutely anyone can do it! My main tips – take your time and add the details one nail at a time.

Step 1. I started out with a couple of coats of a gold shimmer (I used Face of Australia Calypso Gold from the Barbados Collection).

Step1

Step 2. Next I applied some striping tape in a somewhat random criss-cross pattern.

Step2

Step 3. Add a coat of black over the striping tape (I used Face of Australia Iron Ore – a black with some silver shimmer in it, just to make it more interesting and add some texture)

Step3

Step 4. Remove the striping tape very carefully using tweezers (this is why you should do one nail at a time, before the polish has fully dried)

Step4

Step 5. I continued this with all the nails, alternating the patterns slightly for each nail.

Step5

Step 6. This is the creative step – gather all the little bits and pieces (beads, rivets and glitters) and get to work! I also used the base colour and dotting tool to make some dots.

 Step6

Step6a (1)

Step 7. When everything is dry to the touch slap on some top coat to secure the small details in place – then you’re done!

CoverPhoto

This has been fun – creating and writing up this post! I hope this step-by-step gives you enough information to try and recreate this design – if you do, hit me up! I’d love to see your interpretation)))

Once again “Thanks!” to Abby for letting me take over her blog. Cheers)))

I highly recommend that you check out cat-n-nails. She is an extremely nice person, her nails are gorgeous, and her cats are adorable.

I must thank Natalia for guest posting for me! She did an amazing job! I think I may have to try this look out! I’m actually in the works of making a guest post for her blog, so hopefully mine will be as good as hers!

4 comments: