Monday, July 2, 2012

Brandi Strickland Inspired Nails

Today is day 27 of the 31 Day Challenge. The theme was to create nails inspired by artwork. Well, everything around us is art, so I could have painted anything I wanted on my nails. (You know, we are actually artists, too. You may not realize it, but we are; we paint tiny pictures on our nails. Even if you simply paint one dot on your nail, or layer polish, you are a nail artist.) Anyway, onto my nails for today: They were inspired by by Brandi Strickland’s artwork. They all came from her “Sketches” folder.

DSCN0381

DSCN0383

DSCN0375

DSCN0380

I used a matte top coat for my finished nails, but still wanted to try a shiny topcoat:

DSCN0372

I think the matte top coat makes it look more like a canvas, rather than the shiny top coat.

I used L.A. Colors- Energy Source for my white background. In order to create watercolor-looking art, I diluted acrylic paint, and then used a small paintbrush to paint the pictures onto my nails. I also dulled a toothpick (by putting pressure on it and moving it back and forth on a hard surface) and dipped it in the watered down paint to create the smaller black dots around the pyramid.

I actually had a lot of fun creating these nails! At first I was intimidated and wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but after all, the challenge was to create nails inspired by artwork, so it doesn’t have to be exact :)

See you tomorrow for day 28- nails inspired by a flag!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an original one and your right with the matte top coat looks like a canvas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, her art is pretty inspiring :) It is really refreshing!

      Delete